Signed "C Gumpf" Christopher Gumpf, Lancaster, PA ca 1815
Christopher Gumpf was the son of Dietrich Gumpf; he was born in 1760 and died in 1844. He lived and worked his entire life in Lancaster.
This rifle is untouched since its conversion to percussion. The patchbox is a wonderful example of classic Lancaster design and deeply and masterfully engraved. The lock is original to the rifle and was converted to percussion in the 1830's. Reconversion back to flintlock can be done but would not be advisable since the surfaces are so pristine.
The barrel is 44.5 nches long and has never been shotened as many were while being converted to percussion. A matte surface covers the iron barrel and lock so as to suggest it has not been handeld much since it's last use in the 19th century. The stock has all its original finish without a thick build up of dirt and patina. The surface quality is near perfect; it has never been cleaned, polished, sanded, or anything done to it in recent decades. A marvelous state of originality.
This rifle offers the collector an opportunity to own a classic Lancaster rifle in pristine condition without paying the high price for a highly decorated rifle.